• Peace Wall Removal

    Peace Wall Removal

    Community Celebrates Peace Wall Removal

    Residents at a North Belfast interface hold a celebration event to mark a new era after the removal of a 30 year old Peace Wall.

    More...
  • Community Consolidation

    Community Consolidation

    Community consolidation - Peace Consolidation

    A strategy for the International Fund for Ireland 2016-2020

    More...
  • Peace Impact Programme

    Peace Impact Programme

    Peace Impact Programme

    The Peace Impact Programme (PIP) is delivering real and positive community transformation. Find out more.

    More...
  • Twitter

    Twitter

    Twitter

    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and updates on events - @fundforireland

    More...
  • Annual Report 2015

    Annual Report 2015

    Annual Report 2015

    2015 was a landmark year for the Fund. Click here to read our year in review.

    More...
  • Peace Impact Programme

    Peace Impact Programme

    PIP

    The Peace Impact programme is delivering sensitive interventions in communities that have not previously, or have only partially, participated in peace building and reconciliation activities.

    More...
  • Peace Walls Programme

    Peace Walls Programme

    Peace Walls

    The Peace Walls Programme focuses on helping interface communities to bring about the conditions that can allow for the removal of Peace Walls. Click here to read more.

    More...
  • Fund Focus

    Fund Focus

    Fund Focus

    The latest edition of our newsletter looks at commmunities taking risks for peace.

    More...

Peace Impact Programme - Playlist

Rosemount Resource Centre

on .

Rosemount

The Time2Choose Project, managed by the Rosemount Resource Centre in Londonderry/Derry, was awarded financial assistance of £188,926 from the International Fund for Ireland’s Peace Impact Programme.

The project commenced in August 2013, was officially launched in October 2013 and ends in August 2015. The project was initiated in response to calls for support from people – including children as young as 14 – facing intimidation and threats of violent attack.

Experienced staff and volunteers deliver the project, which offers support and personal development opportunities for individuals, and their families, at risk of attack from paramilitary groups and others. The project also aims to develop community-based solutions to a wide range of contentious local issues, including community policing and anti-social behaviour.

In its first three months, Time2Choose directly intervened in cases involving 60 young people who were under threat from armed groups. Some 90% of these cases were resolved through mediation. For the remaining 10%, Time2Choose was successful in having death threats lifted while mediation continues. Monina O’Prey of Community Foundation NI says: “The outreach programme offers training, employment skills, personal development and other choices to vulnerable young people and their siblings. Some notable individual success stories already exist.

“In one case, a young woman involved in drug taking/dealing turned her life around through access to counselling, training and support. She stopped dealing, dealt with her addiction, stopped involvement in anti-social activity and has gained employment (two part time jobs). She accepted responsibility for her past and made positive choices - she no longer feels vulnerable, worthless and suicidal.”

She adds: “The beneficiaries of Time2Choose are individual young people, their family members, and the wider community. It provides alternatives to violence, crime and addiction and seeks to save lives while building futures based on inclusion and hope. Time2Choose will engage with statutory agencies to share the learning with a view to developing services that can be supported directly by them in the future.

“The high level and range of project activity to date indicates the need for intervention in communities still blighted by the conflict, on-going violence and community tensions. Time2Choose will undoubtedly save lives and connect vulnerable young people and their families to new opportunities and choices. It will enable the wider community the opportunity to address contentious issues through dialogue.”